Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Taking Econ in a failing economy

Wow, what a crazy time we are going through. We are at war, going into a recession & changing presidents. I think Obama has his hands full, and if he can pull this off, I have that much more respect for him.

Anywho, I think it's cool I happen to be in econ right now. I don't know a ton about the subject (as is reflected by my grade!) :P However, I am getting a better feel for things than I would were I NOT in school right now. (Otherwise, when the news gets too sad, I shut it off.) Anyway, we watched a tape last month where the theorist thought we might go back to the standard of living during the American Revolution. I honestly don't think I know what that even means.

I mean, considering the amount of $ I make, I think I live pretty simply. For example, I could afford a lot nicer house, and we don't even have cable (just internet, which we're both in tech...). Of course, I have a small car loan & student loans, so if the sh*t really hits the fan, it could be scary. I just feel like young Americans aren't willing to live within their means anymore. Young couples live beyond both of their salaries instead of just living off one & paying off loans. Trust me, I'm not judging individuals. Heck, I make twice what some of my classmates make, and I still haven't paid off my loans. I'm not even close on my student loans! It's like you just accept that that is a normal monthly bill?

Anyway, I really hope that we don't cut back on education, but I'm already seeing student loan lenders tightening down. So, if you are poor you don't deserve a good education? Won't that just make things worse?

While the tone of this blog may seem negative...writing it makes me realize how blessed we truly are. People are worried about their retirement, but in other countries people worry about their children dying from starvation. Maybe this tough time will make us realize that "things" are not our priority, but rather people. I think depression-era folks got this, and my generation may get a reality check. Have the economic predictions made you re-assess your priorities?

No comments: